Wednesday, March 7, 2012

1984 Donruss Greg Gagne

Just wanted to talk about one of my latest purchases - a 1984 Donruss Greg Gagne RC PSA 9.  Seems like a pretty insignificant card eh?  Not so much to me or to quite a few other collectors.





If you're in any way familiar with the 84 Donruss set, or any early 80's set, these cards are notorious for being horribly off centered. The Greg Gagne RC has got to be one of the toughest in the set to find well centered.  Of the 34 cards of Gagne that PSA has graded, only 3 have come back as 10's, and only 14 as 9's.  I have bought many of these cards raw and I have yet to find one well centered enough to be a 9.  Luckily I saw this one pop up on eBay and I snagged it. The low population cards from some of these sets can create some pretty high demand.  Three years ago a PSA 10 of this card sold for $192.  I have seen standing offers of up to $1500 from a couple 84 Donruss set collectors that are looking to buy a 10 off someone.  $1500!!!!!  Pretty crazy for a 1984 card if you ask me!  I could buy 10's from the 60's for less than that.....

And why this card?  I am a graded card collector, and this card is part of the Minnesota Twins Hall of Fame set on the PSA Registry. This is one piece of a 16 card set of all the players that have been inducted into the Twins Team Hall of Fame.  And best of all it's the final piece to this set for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment