Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My 2012 Topps Baseball Series 1 Hobby Box Break

I've been busier than expected lately, so I'm a little slow getting this box break out.  I already showed my "hit" I got in the box, but I haven't disclosed the rest.  So here we go....

I really wasn't too excited with what I got in this box.  No shortprints (I was hoping for the Rally Squirrel SP), and nothing of significant value. The memorabilia card I pulled only has a value of $8. The only real cards of note are a few Golden Moments and Golden Greats of Jeter, Ripken, Nolan Ryan, Mantle, and Pujols.  Other than that it was pretty weak.  The Golden Giveaway cards (6) were good, because as soon as I get them they hit eBay.  I did the 2010 Million Card Giveaway, and I haven't really been interested in doing it since then. The cash is worth more to me than the cards I get.

So overall, my box contained a total value of $349.65, which actually isn't bad for around 360 cards.  The average pack value was $9.71, with the most valuable pack being $15.20, and the least being $4.60.  The $15 pack has 3 inserts (a $6 Ripken Golden Great) and several $1+ cards.  Amazingly this pack had more in it that the pack with the memorabilia card!

So here's my numerical summary:

  • Total Value: $349.65
  • Total Cost: $61.00
  • Value/Cost Ratio: 5.731
  • Average Pack Value: $9.71
  • Average Value per Card: $0.98
 The Value/Cost Ratio isn't bad, but I think it's pretty deceiving.  If you would figure selling everything at 25% of book value, you wouldn't make much.  With nothing in this box that got me excited, I give this box a C+.

I have one more hobby box to tally, and I really don't think that the results are going to be much better.  Safe to say I am finished buying Series 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment